Tuesday, April 1, 2014

April Fools

Growing up, I was basically an only child. My parents were both married before each other, and had kids with their first spouses. When they got married and had me, I was the only kid I knew for a large chunk of my childhood.

My brothers and sisters came to visit and all lived with us at one point it another, but they were at least 8 years older. I was the annoying little kid. I was the kid who played Mario and Duck Hunt with you but only for 10 seconds. Then I ran into a turtle or flying hammer and got to watch my sister or brothers play forever. They were just so cool and awesome. And never died while playing Mario.

As a result, especially when I didn't have an cool older sibling to follow around, I learned how to entertain myself. And that sometime involved pranks.

Image courtesy of Pixomar / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
My poor mother.

I had this rubber snake I would hide in her pillowcase. Where did I get that idea from? We didn't even have television until I was about 10 years old.

There was this one time when my Mom, Dad and I were in the truck and we had to stop at a farm for something. Probably to talk about the weather, or corn. As Dad was chatting up his farmer friend, I found a dead mouse.

Your getting ahead of me here . It did not go into a pillowcase, promise. It went into my mother's outstretched hands, after I said "Mom, I have something for you". To which she held out her hand. My poor, native, sweet mother. I think she might've swore, or thrown the mouse at the barn. I remember thinking, about a second after I gave it to her, that this wasn't a good idea. Big punishment. And I found out that all dead mice are rats.

And there was that time I taped down the trigger on the spray nozzle on the sink. And waited for her to do the dishes. But, to be fair, that prank was done on April Fools Day. And by this point we already had satellite and were watching America's Funniest Home Videos after dinner. What bad influences those videos were.

What pranks did you do? 

Link up your April Fools Day Posts below!


This post was brought to you by the A-Z Challenge, and the letter:

23 comments:

  1. I was an only child for 8 years. That's a big span between siblings making it hard to be friends - or even civil - as kids. Fortunately as adults, we're "the same age" and are very close.
    Visiting from A to Z ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! Now it's perfect because we get along and I love spending time with them, despite living farther away :)

      Delete
  2. Haha...naughty naughty! I was a rather horrid child too according to my little brother...but what would he know?
    Loved the post.
    Erica
    www.ejgoreauthor.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm. I remember my brother throwing me in a pile of leaves and yelling 'SNAKES'! So, we obviously won't be listening to any brothers on this blog.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Honestly, I suck at pranking anyone. :( I always love watching others get pranked! And you're right, America's funniest home videos (now YouTube) is such a bad influence. I guess I'm just to "nice" to prank people. Though, inside my head I always think it would be so much fun! :)

    Jamie Dement (LadyJai)
    My A to Z
    Caring for My Veteran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here and now (more like when I drafted this post) I vow that I'm never letting my children watch that show. I've taken so much inspiration from there.

      Delete
  4. I'm usually the one that gets pranked. In fact, I'm being extra watchful today in the hopes of avoiding my children and husbands naughty antics. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm. Maybe it's time to buy some fake snakes and tape the water nozzle. Surprise them all :)

      Delete
  5. I've never been that creative or funny, but it seems you were hilarious! Thanks for sharing and Happy April Fools Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bored kid, but thank you! I have a rubber cockroach making a rotation in our apartment, scaring Tom. I've lost it though, and think he's turning the tables on me lately.

      Happy April Fools!

      Delete
  6. I've never been a big fan April Fools but it sounds like you have fun with it!
    xoxo, Emma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it as pranking, more like playing jokes. And jokes are fun, right? Glad my mom was such a forgiving woman :)

      Delete
  7. I've never been great at practical jokes, and no doubt I've been on the receiving end of them and have never realised. But I love hearing what other people have got up to! I'd never have the nerve.

    Natalie (visiting from A-Z)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't prank like that anymore! And haven't in the longest time.... but recently there has been a rubber cockroach that my husband got me with in January. It's made it's way around the house, in his shoe, bag of cat food, pot on top of the fridge... but that's a never ending joke I guess.

      Delete
  8. Wow :) I have never really done the practical jokes but my son is really into them. :) ~A-Z Blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked today to hear that some near me haven't ever pranked on April 1st. Good to know the tradition lives on!

      Delete
  9. I once swapped the N and the M keys on my workmate's computer. It took him a while to work out what was going wrong, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you had commented earlier! I'm finishing up my day at work (obviously, nothing to do) and this would have been great!

      Delete
  10. As a veterinarian, my favorite April Fool's Prank was actually performed by another veterinarian for the technicians. An animal with a giant abscess came in, after drawing out fluid from said abscess, the doctor said, "Hmmm, I wonder what this tastes like," and proceeded to inject the chunky fluid into his mouth and said, "Delicious!". One of the technicians turned green, the other almost fainted. The lovely doctor had seen the schedule ahead of time and had prepared a special syringe with a mix of peanut butter and strawberry jam - this is what was eating, not the nasty actual abscess fluid - that would be gross!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My hubby did the sink trick to our kids. Good times, good times. We also have a fake mouse we hid in the cabinets every few months. It squeaks then falls out. He gets me first…come to think of it, he was an only child too. =P

    Happy A-Zing

    Elsie
    AJ's wHooligan in the A-Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post. Alas, I'm terrible at pranks and even worse at telling jokes! But I do love watching clips of pranks on YouTube, especially the ones that backfire. ;)
    Happy A to Z-ing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones that backfire are definitely the best.

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover