Saturday, April 26, 2014

Was It Worth It? The A-Z Challenge edition

Hm, good question, self.
*pats self on back*

Yes. No. Depends on what you mean by 'worth it'.


Yes.
This month I really began to throw myself into the 'blogosphere' and make some new acquaintances. I learned that it's really not that difficult to post a few times a week. I taught myself that overcoming writers block and committing to something makes it worth the hassle. And it has shown me that posting regularly does make all the difference, as people are less likely to put a sporadic poster on their RSS or bloglovin' feeds. Like me, they don't like to subscribe willy-nilly. (does anyone else say that?) #countryphrase

I was also able to add a lot of posts in a short amount of time, allowing me to gain a stronger blog, with more than a few posts a month. It's almost 1 year since I started blogging and I really neglected this initially. I finally caught the blogging bug around Nov/Dec, and now I'm making up for a slow few months.

No.
Admittedly, I really didn't use this challenge to connect and network extensively. It was much more about 'retraining' the way I think about blogging. I wish I would've leaned about the A-Z challenge earlier than 1 week before it started. I would've written all my posts ahead of time, and focused on visiting other blogs and gaining some more followers.

I think the challenge was designed to give people an easy way to connect, and I didn't use it as intended. I did visit everyone who stopped over, but I don't think once I went to their list and just clicked willy-nilly randomly. Especially since there are so many people on there who are all about developing their book characters, or focusing on themes I find either completely mind-numbingly or over my head. A biology-themed A-Z challenge..... no thanks. I'll come back for your regular programming in May though.

Other Accomplishments.
I redesigned the site a bit with a new header. I worked on turning photos into more 'pinnable' images. I updated my tabs, and added more people to the NYS Blogger Map. I started promoting my posts on Google+ and am still trying to get used to Bloglovin'.

I'm glad I did get all the way through, and would do another challenge like this in the future. I hope it shows dedication and oomph. But I'd probably wait at least a year before doing another A-Z. Six posts a day is rather draining during your craziest month of the year. Earth month is always a killer for my 9-5, if this was help in say... January or August, I might be more likely to sign up.


So.... yes and no.

Did you participate (or have you ever participated) in the A-Z Challenge?
Did you accomplish all you intended to, stop part way through?
Will you do another in the future?


This post was brought to you by the A-Z Challenge, and the letter:

10 comments:

  1. I love this reflection. I think it's really important to evaluate the things that we do as bloggers - what did we want the result to be and what was the result. I think that the writing lesson that this challenge offers are perhaps the most valuable part - although I think networking idea for next time (or any other blog series) is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like life in general, where were you, where are you know, and what did you do to get there. Agreed!

      Delete
  2. I give you a lot of credit, Farin. I start many projects, but rarely finish. Kudos to finishing. And you're right about networking. It's important, but also fun, because you get to meet some really great bloggers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly- I am generally like that too, which makes finishing that much better!

      Delete
  3. I love A to Z! This is my third year and so far, I've finished. I creat my posts the night before usually, but this year I've created the morning if. I would hate to create them all months and months in advance. Writing daily proves to me that I can have a regular writing time every morning if I have a goal...something to work toward. I usually have to force myself to write on my books, but with A to Z I feel motivated! Love it! Love it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree, best if spontaneous. But working fulltime and then doing this challenge felt like an additional job. I did plan topics in March, but towards the end they all changed bc I didn't prepare for them or found something better to write about.

      Delete
  4. This should have been my W post, too! Haha it's been soooo crazy trying to keep up (and really, I've been late several times). In the beginning I did go and click willy nilly, visiting other participating blogs, but the last two weeks I've just been keeping my head above water. I've realized that posting 4 times a week is probably what works best for me, but I like that I have a lot of content now, like you said.
    Good work for getting this far- we almost made it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping head above water sums it up! I write my post the day it's due, in the early am, before life hits! Because if I waiting any longer it won't get done.

      And yes, good job to us :)

      Delete
  5. I know I'm getting to this post late, but: "YOU MADE IT!" I had fun with the challenge, but my lack of time made visiting other blogs really difficult (as you can see, I'm playing catch up). But I think it was worth it, if only for the few people I wouldn't have met otherwise. Would I do it again? Depends on too many factors to say right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we had pretty similar experiences, and yes- it feels like I'm always playing catch up too :)

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover