Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Bad Habits

The way I see it, everyone has something they'd like to be rid of. For me, I have a few.

Image courtesy of Gualberto107 / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
I have an unconscious habit of biting my lip, which Tom hates. When nervous, I pick at my cuticles. When falling asleep, I tend to fidget and move around (which Tom also hates, not surprisingly). I play with my face- hence my inability to leave pimples alone- but also just resting my chin on my hand. Which is a really bad thing to do if your trying to get rid of breakouts.

Some habits, like the above, can be unlearned. I can give myself a manicure to remind me to leave my cuticles alone. To wear lip gloss/lipstick to keep me from messing with my lips. I am constantly putting lotion or sanitizer on my hands, since the smell when brought to my chin snaps me out of the mindlessness. And I now drunk sleepytime tea (try Celestial Vanilla) to combat restlessness.

But some bad habits are actually sinful. Which means that they are displeasing to God. Hear me out now...

I also have a stubborn streak, which is very deeply rooted. I do not take criticism well at times, and I have a very difficult time trying to hide my disdain for something someone says (like eye rolling, sighing, etc). It's something that I've been working on, but always ultimately fail at.


I love John Piper. He sums up things so well. Truth be told, I have a migraine this morning, and while I could summarize what he said so well, checking it out for yourself would be better.




Also, this post on the movie Divergent shows a unpopular view that we aren't all just "good people at heart". Which is refreshing, especially since it seems the writer is a Christian and has read her Bible. Not that I'm supporting the dividing people into factions or anything.


What are your bad habits? How have you worked on yourself?

This post was brought to you by the A-Z Challenge, and the letter:

15 comments:

  1. That's a really interesting article about Divergent! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to always think that we are all good at heart, and then I realized that we all strive for goodness because we often will default to things that are easy, selfish, or self serving. It is not to say that we all innately evil either. I think we all have both in us and it is what we nurture that takes hold. Thought provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love a quote I found from C. S. Lewis

      “No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good. A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means. This is an obvious lie. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is. ......... We never find out the strength of the evil impulse inside us until we try to fight it: and Christ, because He was the only man who never yielded to temptation, is also the only man who knows to the full what temptation means — the only complete realist.”

      Delete
  3. Ironically enough while reading this I was doing two of your bad habit. Biting my lip which I due when I'm bored and rest my chin on my hand. ooops.
    Have a great day!
    Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My worst habit is overthinking everything. I need to just let some things be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I twist and twirl my hair. Damaging. And then when I'm really, really bored, I obsess over the split ends I see and will clip each individual one away as I find them. :P

    I worry...really bad habit!!

    And I am attempting to overcome the negative by finding the positives...this is a daily, sometimes hourly struggle.

    Jamie Dement (LadyJai)
    My A to Z
    Caring for My Veteran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm. There's a girl at the store downstairs, always trimming her ends. I figure she must do the same thing as you? I get enough split ends without even touching my hair.

      Delete
  6. I have so many bad habits. Worst is never putting away the laundry and not taking my eye makeup off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to forget about eye makeup all the time, until I started showering in the evening. Now I can't just forget it, added bonus :)

      Delete
  7. I had to learn that my ego kept me from progressing spiritually. It was easy to think I didn't need help rather than ask for it. I'm still a work in progress though.

    I hope your migraine is better. I get them a couple of times a week. Blech.

    Elsie
    AJ's wHooligan in the A-Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All humans are self-oriented. And society makes it way too acceptable these days. I sound so old writing "these days".

      I only get them when shark week comes around.... a wonderful remnant from the miscarriages. I can't imagine having to deal with them regularly. Sorry to hear :(

      Delete
  8. hey there. i'm one of tina's minions. just checking in.

    bad habits... aren't the worst ones tied to the seven deadly sins? i suppose my worst ones at the moment are tied to gluttony and sloth. hah. :]

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover