Friday, June 26, 2015

Pregnancy Dreams, and Sleepwalking

I've just returned home from repairing houses in Wisconsin, only to find that our apartment was remodeled by my husband without telling me. But wait... didn't he go to Wisconsin with me? And why are my feet in so much pain? I have high heel shoes on. That doesn't seem like practical footwear for a construction site in the Midwest...
There have been some crazy dreams in this pregnancy thus far. I've stolen jewelry with Leonardo DiCaprio from a strip mall in New Jersey (that's where all the best jewelry is kept after all), been involuntarily part of a 18-wheeler high-speed chase on the Interstate, and have successfully blown up the moon. I normally don't do these things, but I guess it's just the way things are going to be until December. I really hope I can evade the law until then.

According to stuff I've researched on the web (because there is not better source for real medical insight), this is a normal part of being pregnant. One wonky suggestion is that I should have been having dreams depending on the trimester I am in. In the first trimester, I should've been dreaming about water (because I'm making amniotic fluid) and fertility (since you know, something is growing in there). In the second trimester, I should be dreaming about animals and other cuddly things that represent babies. Because.... ? And during the third trimester, I should start having nightmares of labor and delivery, and the baby should talk to me in my dreams.
Needless to say, I call horsefeathers on all the above suggestions (except the labor one... I could see myself having those nightmares). Whether or not it's because of hormones or that we are just more likely to wake up and pee in the middle of the night and remember where we left off... I'm still committing crimes and travelling to the Midwest.

However, I used to walk, talk, and occasionally break wash dishes in my sleep. So, while I'm happy to read that the internet is telling me this is normal for pregnant women, I'm definitely interested in seeing if I will ever fall into a "normal" dreamland. And we will also see if Tom will need to install a buzzer system, alerting him if I leave the appointed areas after midnight. Because yes, as a kid, my parent's installed an alarm at the end of the hallway.


So tell me...
Have you ever been pregnant and had crazy dreams?
Did you sleepwalk as a child? If so, did it make pregnancy dreams more ridiculous?


    Blogger icon photo facebook_zpseef9d1da.png       Google+ icon photo gplus_zpsa51d23ec.png      
Facebook     Google+     Twitter
--------------------------------------------
Every Friday hundreds join the Five Minute Fridays writing flash mob, 
where bloggers get together to write on a common topic or specific word. No extreme editing; 
no worrying about perfect grammar, font, or punctuation. 
Unscripted. Unedited. Real.
Five Minute Friday - 4

20 comments:

  1. I think I had some crazy dreams while pregnant but I don't remember what they were (it's been almost two years since I was pregnant). Never sleep walked either. I have heard stories from other women about crazy pregnancy dreams so you are not alone. Blessed to be your neighbor from FMF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess not, but it's still such an odd occurrence!

      Delete
  2. I had crazy dreams with my son and he was born Dec 9. I dreamt a lot about water too and walking on beams to get from one place to another. They were really vivid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you had the textbook pregnancy dreams! I will laugh when I have dreams that I'm supposed to have, most recently I dreamed that I was the one serving wedding cake and kept licking off my hands. :)

      Delete
  3. Haha I love these dreams! I've never been pregnant so I don't know if that's a normal occurrence but I say just roll with it! Your body and mind must just be working overtime right now! Also can I get Leo Dicaprio in my dreams too?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you would want him, he was a really mean boss, or maybe I was just really bad at being a robber? I have to say, there's always a story to tell Tom when I wake up.

      Delete
  4. i had a real bad dream about a month ago - but it didn't involve Leonardo DiCaprio :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha well this dream did and I'd consider it a stressful one so... I'd rather dream about water or cuddly animals
      :)

      Delete
  5. Yes, I did! I forgot until you mentioned them. Yes, waking up to pee is part of it. But I also think there's a lot to consider and contemplate when you're expecting, lots of emotions, from excitement to fear to joy and I'm sure all of that colors our dreams as we release and refresh our brains while we sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the mind does have more to think about (and keeps going when your body shuts down from exhaustion). Maybe I should keep a journal of these dreams, there has to be a book in there somewhere. "Dreams of the pregnant woman"...

      Delete
  6. I have never been pregnant, but have some crazy dreams. I regularly dream my teeth are falling out. One night I had a really bad sore throat so woke up and took one of those strepsils. I dreamt again that my teeth were falling out, as I was waking up I opened my mouth only for the strepsil to come unstuck from my tooth, making me think my tooth had really come out! I was terrified, for about 30 seconds! I have also dreamt a giant hamster was driving a car I was in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a horrible dream. I might now go to bed and have a nightmare about your dream :-/ The hamster dream might be a fun one though!

      Delete
  7. I remember when I was expecting my eldest Bella - I was in my 2nd trimester at the time - I dreamt that I was walking through the park carrying loose hoitdogs...as you do. All of a sudden i get pounced on by 4 Alsatian dogs who start attacking me... Next thing I know hubby is waking me up because I am screaming in my sleep! Gosh it was so vivid and scary!
    I am visiting you from the link up ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, whenever you are carrying loose hot dogs you need to be in a dog-free area.... something to remember to future hotdog trips :)

      Delete
  8. It's been too long since I was pregnant, so I can't respond to what my dreams were like - I guess they didn't make a lasting impression :-) Fascinating all the info from the internet, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I'm glad that blogging exists so that I am able to record things and look back on how things were :)

      Delete
  9. Yes! I had the craziest dreams when I was pregnant. Lots of times they wound up being a mishmash from whatever movie or book I had been reading. I think it's because you don't sleep as well when you're pregnant so you remember your dreams more, but I definitely had some crazy ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes a lot of sense, I know I wake much more often now (and would likely interrupt more dreams).

      Delete
  10. So glad you stopped by and left a sweet comment! Your blog is lovely and I love the design! So glad to 'meet' you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You as well! Thank you for the complement :)

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover