Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A New York City Polar Vortex

At what point can we call it a blizzard? 'Polar Vortex' seems so dramatic, something about polar bears spinning out of control. Well, that would be more amusing, although somewhat cruel.

 It's a beautiful winter wonderland in NYC! Which is a very big deal, since there is a very distinct point of where it turns into a dirty slush mess and your childhood hopes and dreams die a little.

A beautiful, untouched NYC snowfall is a rarely documented thing, and I have yet to get any awesome pics of it. When I get outside I'm sure it will already be a dirty mess but that's okay. I'd rather sleep. Years past- instead of documenting this amazing occurrence- I was either slumbering in bed or throwing snow around in snowball form. So while it seems that I do not have any beautiful snow pics in NYC for the 'before' photo but check out this awesome video.


You can't help but laugh when you see massive buses stuck and abandoned on top of snow drifts, or NYPD police cars that have gotten stuck. Here is an abandoned yellowcab I found in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. Just hanging out in the middle of 4th Ave. Talk about all the good parking spots being taken.

There's only a few hour gap sometimes where you can go out and reminisce about rural Pennsylvania snowstorms and clean crisp snowdrifts of your youth. That's just me I bet.

Planning on going sledding tomorrow, at Owls Head park. Anyone else in NYC interested?

10 comments:

  1. We were supposed to get that storm in Massachusetts, but my area only saw a few inches. It is so beautiful when it's still a clean white color, isn't it? I love taking pictures of the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- the entire city looks renewed and like the reset button has been pressed :) I heard all of Massachusetts was getting hit hard, but guess the winds shifted last night

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos and accompaniment. We got at least a foot in Blue Bell PA, pure white landscape, that is, before the little ones begin sledding shortly, have fun on the slopes today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're about to bundle up and head outside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picture! Those cabs need to get 4 wheel drive because my husbands little convertible could have gotten out of that snow! I love the time right after it stops snowing when everything is still untouched and magical and you can go walk around in it! Then its gross and annoying a few days later! Stopping by from the NE bloggers Photo challenge! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I came over here from the Northeast Bloggers Network January photography link-up. Great photo :) It's funny to see the cab stuck in the snow so deep. I always assume that New York cleans up their streets quickly because of all the hustle and bustle. I guess not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not always. In the blizzard on Christmas 2011 there was actually a huge hubub about snow plows protesting budget cuts and not doing their job. You couldn't go anywhere easily until after the New Year. Not that I minded :)

      http://nlpc.org/stories/2011/01/04/new-york-city-snow-removal-response-investigated-seiu-teamster-slowdown-payback

      Delete
  6. That taxi photo is really wild. Nicely done there. Definitely gives a feel of the City in snow! :D Stopping by via the NE Bloggers photo challenge page!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover